Skip to main content

The Power of Perception.

What do you see?
A young lady walked into the Locitude Studio last Saturday and asked if she could get a pedicure. I politely told her No, as we do not offer that service. She had a full head of natural hair on her head so I proceeded to ask her when she would like to loc (turn her hair into dreadlocks) her hair. The expression on her face was of disgust, her entire body headed towards the door, literally running away from my words. Just before she reached the door I mentioned to her that my hair is all mine and loc'd (dreadlocked). Her eyes lit up, and she started to realise that everyone else in the studio had loc'd hair. She was amused by the length, thickness and beauty of our hair then she started asking questions.
Cynthia spent about two hours with us learning about locs and considering them for herself. She hadn't even realised how much time had passed and that a pedicure was all she was looking to get, before she met us at Locitude. Before Cynthia left, she asked to follow us on social media and collected the number to my direct line. It was really amazing to see how her perspective changed right before our eyes.
Something she thought was disgusting 2 hours before became an interest she now follows and is considering for herself.
It may seem like I am the star in the story, but no, Cynthia is the ultimate star, her open-mind has drawn her into a new world of possibilities and changed her perception on something that is seemingly so insignificant albeit important.
I have a dream that one day, the world will be open-minded to see the good in all things; that we may be perceptive enough to see all sides of situations presented to us; that we may become tolerant of each other and truly love each other. At the end of the day we are all red on the inside.
Written as part of course work for Business Fundamentals: Effective Networking under The Open University on FutureLearn.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on