Skip to main content

7 Tips to Loc Length Retention.

Hello People,

One twelfth of the year has gone by already, time indeed waits for no one and on that note here are some tips that can help you retain your loc length.

1. Less is More.

This is my watch word. It's really simple and easy the less goes into your hair the better it grows, Stick to a very simple routine, shampoo, condition, oil your scalp and hair, moisturise (using water mostly) and really everything else is jara (extra).

2. Think Moisture.

Dryness plays a big role in loc breakage, therefore combating dryness is key to retaining your already grown hair. Water is the best medicine for thirst, we all know this! Whilst a cold frizzy drink may relief the throat of instant thirst, we also know that moments after, the after taste makes you need even more water to quench the initial thirst. Enough metaphors, I'm sure you get my point , water is your number one moisturiser, wash frequently (according to your lifestyle). Spritz a mix of water (90- 95%) and oils (5 - 10%) every other day or as needed to help retain moisture.  Hot Oil Treatments can also give a leg up if your locs are extra dry. 

3. Leave your Locs alone.

Permit me to generalise here, Nigerian women are fond of "changing their hair styles". This usually leads to new loc heads being tempted to fix weaves, braids and what not. My dears, your hair is enough and to keep it healthy and long you kinda have to leave them alone (at least most times). Tight braids can ruin your edges and you can loose as much as entire strands of locs if your weaves are taken out wrongly. You also need to chill on that hand-in-hair syndrome.

4. No Heavy Stuff.

By heavy stuff, I mean butters, wax and products of generally thick consistency. The truth is that some heavy products (Shea butter for instance) can be good for your locs in theory, however it is almost impossible to wash that heavy stuff from your locs. It seeps into the shaft of your loc strands and stays there, becoming stale and a builds up into a literal build up problem. Build up causes weak points in locs thereby leading to eventual breakage. So say no to Heavy Stuff.

5. Careful with the Colour.

Colour is that one thing that gives locs that extra edge, I won't lie locs are beautiful when coloured and yes I have coloured my hair more than a few times in my life time, however Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia play a number on your hair. Major side effect is dryness and remember dryness = breakage. Look out for products without Peroxide and Ammonia. I also tried out Hair Chalk a couple of weeks ago as an option. So be careful with colour.

6. Keep with a Locking Method that works for you.

Here's a tricky one, a good Loctician will be the best to help you find a method that works for you. I personally fall to palm rolling as the default method for locking both my locs and clients at the Locitude Studio, as it has minimum risk on damaging your hair. You have to find and stick to what works for you. The Interlocking method on the other hand damaged my locs, however I have seen this method work for some other people. If any one is using a foam, towel or sponge to agressively rub your head and give you headache, please STOP IT!. I hear that Paracetamol is now N300, let's not even start with the price of Advil.

7. Time.

Time grows all hair, except there's an underlining medical condition. Before you run off to your doctor looking for medical conditions, I must share that at no particular time in the history of my locs have I felt they are growing. I mostly complain of stagnancy, however, year on year I accumulate growth, it never seems obvious but my locs are definitely growing. So take a selfie every now and then or do a yearly length check like I do. I'm sure you will see that against all odds your locs are growing. 

One wise naturalista once said it's really not about growing your hair it's about how you are able keep the hair you have grown. I sincerely hope you find the above tips useful and if you have and comments, additions and subtractions, feel free to drop a line in the comment section.

On that note I leave you with a short video of me feeling pretty on date night some time ago. My hair is in a bun and I hadn't had them retwisted in about 3 weeks. I love the rough look always.


Peace, love and keep it loc'd with some attitude.

Your Loc Head
Ade
#TeamLocitude.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on