Skip to main content

7 Locitude Tips to Keep Locs Healthy During Harmattan.

Hello Folks,

It has been a minute, make that 6 weeks since I last published anything. I won't lie the last few weeks have been incredibly tough in my personal life and procrastination has been my comforter; unfortunately nothing gets done with procrastination. So today I'm breaking out of all my worries and doing one of the things that makes me happy.... As ridiculous as it sounds I really do like blogging about my hair. I would try to get to some of my personal life struggles at the end of this post, but first let me give you what you are really here for, another one of my seven's on what to do with your locs during the dry season.

Me, my locs were about a year +,
Picture by Dolapo James of Urbanknit.com
1. Moisturise, as much as daily.

So I recently found that my ends (of my locs) have been weak, a couple fell out and a few more are threatening. No one likes to see their locs fall. I immediately start thinking of solutions then I realised I have abandoned my moisturise and seal lecture. I have added it back to my daily routine. I spritz my locs down with water, island oil and coconut oil. There's been much improvement this past three days since I restarted it.

Also note that you may want to put in a bit more products (Oils/moisturisers) after a wash, your previous routine quantities may not be enough to combat the dry season.

2. Heard of protective styling?

I'm not a big fan of adding foreign hair /materials to my locs i.e. weaves and braided attachments. So I define my own protective styles as putting my locs into two strand twists, braiding the locs themselves and styling them such that they are not individually easily manipulated.

Protective styles help your locs retain moisture. Think of it in the popular phrase "United we Stand , Divided we fall" The more united your locs are the stronger they are together, and when they are left loose this harmattan season they may fall faster.

3. Deep condition.

Truth be told your locs maybe loosing moisture faster than how much you spritz them down daily, you may need to treat them to some deep conditioning. Depending on how dry they are you can consider using the buttery products, such as Ori (Shea butter) and any thick conditioner out there. I prefer to stick to oils as that way I'm guaranteed not to have build up even if I do it in excess. (Considering a how to Deep Condition your locs post here).

4. Sleep in a Silk scarf/Bonnet.

This one is a bit difficult, even though it sounds easy. Sleeping in a silk scarf every single night requires discipline. If you can discipline yourself well enough you help your locs retain moisture especially during the dry season. Added advantage is that you keep lint out :).

5. You may want to keep your hands out of your locs.

Remember my loc ends that fell off in no. 1 of this post. I lost them to hand in hair syndrome as some of our natural sisters call it. So yes, it's quite a "sweet" feeling twisting your locs all the time but it's one of the Locitude Don'ts, so try not to do it especially during the Harmattan. The reason is simple, your hair will fall out faster if it is dry, the harmattan would likely make your hair dry, so hands in hair syndrome would help your hair fall out. Get it?

6. Avoid the Dust.

Harmattan is defined as A dry dusty wind that blows along the northwest coast of Africa. Dust is not your friend. You already know that with locs whatever gets in stays in, the last thing you want is dusty locs. I don't need to explain why, do I? So if you are out and about get yourself and nice piece of covering to help keep the dust out. Something like the great accessory I found at Max sometime ago would do or try the head wraps that are very trendy these days.

7. Rock them Locs with an Attitude.

No. 7 is a must. :D, rock your locs with pride and a chic attitude, never fails. Remember you'll be taking care of your locs as per tips above and your locs will be healthy, shiny and in wonderful protective styles for the harmattan. So Rock on Fellas...

Wow, this was so refreshing for me, I have almost forgotten about my worries :). Well, I think I've just been in that phrase of life where I have to make a lot of decisions as to the next chapter of who I am. I am also trying to do a lot of things at the same time and all of it can be overwhelming. So I'm learning to be grateful for what I have, who I am and how far I have gotten; as gratitude paves the way for the next big thing. So if anyone out there is having similar experiences just know to stay strong. If there's a will there's a way.

Till later fellas.

Your Loc Head,
Ade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on