Skip to main content

Preview into Loc Appreciation Day, Lagos, 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have talked so much about the Lagos Maiden Meetup of Loc (Dada) Appreciation Day that I feel like my friends and family would probably hold an intervention for me on the 28th of June, 2014 to deliver me from Loc Talk.

The truth is so much planning has gone into the event and I can't help but pass on some more information on what will happen at Loc Appreciation Day, Lagos 2014.

Anchor.
I am honoured to announce that the beautiful and soulful Bassey Ikpi, Loc'd sister for 14years, poet, writer and presenter will anchor our activities of the day. Meet Bassey Ikpi in the video below.


A very short film -
"Wetin be locs sef?" will premiere on L.A.D, brought to us by Battaxbox.com. The video seeks to define locs and also for the first time ever reveals what the average Nigerian thinks about Dada. I have seen the first cut and mehn - my fellow Nigerians, why now? Dada isn't that bad.

Panel Discussion
To correct the impressions on what Dada is, Bassey will be hosting a Panel Discussion featuring Jatto - easily the most popular loctician in Lagos, Ani Simon-Hart, loc'd for 10 years and of course yours truly Me - Ade Balogun, loc'd for about 4 and a half years. The audience would not be left out as there'll be a chance to ask questions, share stories, agree and disagree on this subject matter called loc's.


Spoken Word Art by The Obii Ifejika
Obii is the Winner, Naija Poetry Slam 2012 and Winner, Cannes Young Lions Design Competition 2013. Having her entertain us with words is something I'm personally looking forward to as I have never watch a spoken word performance live. Visit her facebook here.

DIY Styling
So imagine you have that important impromptu interview or one of those "I must represent wedding" to attend  with not enough time to go to a stylist. Locitude would be giving a couple of simple but very classy tutorials on how you can wear your locs without breaking a sweat :).

Documenting Locs with Segun Adewusi.
It was very fascinating to find this photographer, you'll be amazed to see his work and hear his story at the this years L.A.D Lagos.

Locitude Mini Magazine
In case you are wondering WHAT?!; Yes, Locitude is launching a magazine on Loc Appreciation Day!!!!! Whoop Whoop!!!! Here is a behind the scenes footage of Kazeem Onafuwa and Rulz both Graphic designers of Locitude Mag and pictures (by Jerry Doro) from the Magazine photoshoot for your viewing pleasure. A lot has been put into celebrating our crowns, our glory, our locs :).









Giveaways:
- Savvy & Chic Hair and Beauty Hub. - Will give away a starter pack to one lucky attendee, also the first 10 persons will receive the home made shea butter mixes, great for moisturising both skin and hair.

- Kamah Accessories will also be giving away a 100% Proudly Nigerian made leather clutch bag.

- Our Host Bassey Ikpi also helped us organise some of her favorite hair products that some lucky attendees will get.

Trust me there's a lot more interesting stuff on our programme for the day, there would also be tees available with the official L.A.D 2014 Logo for sale.


Special thanks to all our Sponsors, Partners and Vendors.














Lots of love xoxo,

See you there :)

Ade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on