Skip to main content

7 Locitude Inspired Hair Styles!

Hey people,

It's been just over a month since I started this blog and so far it's been fun :). Was going through my Instagram page and saw that I have been quite creative with my hair this past couple of months so here's a post sharing....

Most of my loc hairstyles are twofers, so there's much you can do with the same concept. Just have fun with it.

Things to note though... My head is big and round, if you have similar features then you have come to the right place and here are some rules to particularly guide the big round loc heads.

1. Have a hump on your head, always makes your face look longer and less round, always works.
2. Put some bang into it, yep pushing some of your hair to front helps frame the face.
3. Avoid anything that looks too much like a full fringe, makes your cheeks look even rounder and head bigger.
4. Side parts work much better than middle parts.
5. All back buns and dos work well too.
6. Be adventurously creative
7. Love your locs.

Enough talk, let's get into it.
THE EVELYN KING.
This hair style is inspired by a secondary school (Command, Ipaja) hair do, we had to put our hair into plaits, some the the front, the middle portion doing a small Mohawk and back plaited down. So here I put the front ina pinned up 2 strand twist, packed the sides up and let the back fall. If you google Evelyn King you'll feel the inspiration. :).

The bang rule was applied here.
LOC PETALS / LOOPS
One hundred percent youtube inspired, first saw it on chescalocs channel, was a fun 2 week hair do.
My first attempt failed 'cos the rubber bands used by the hairdresser was fake, woke up in a sea of bands, went back to get them threaded. Was scared I would loose some locs when the thread was taken out. I didn't. However I still find stray thread in my hair every now and then it's almost been 6 weeks.

Note that I had flat twists on both sides to avoid the no fringe look alike rule.
THE DONUT
Remember what I said about twofers :),  description The Evelyn King description takes care of the front bit.
The back was done into a big donut. You need some length for this style. Learnt to do this when I still used to wear braids however, but i'm sure there's a youtube video for how to get this look.

The hump rule ;)

THE PIPE CLEANER
The trendiest loc style yet. Read my pipe cleaner post to know how I got this look.

The be adventurous rule :)
THE PIPE CLEANER BUN
You'll need to see the pipe cleaner results rule for this one.
The all back rule.
THE BRAID BUN.
Watched enough youtube videos to figure out that this is mostly called protective plaits, I think this is because the style likely to keep new re-twists in place and protected from unraveling. This best part is the style that comes afterwards.
Anyway, I took three strands each and plaited them together into a bun

The all back rule

THE BRAID OUT

Simply what happens when you take out your braids.... This unsmiling Chikita is born.
Another twofer; + the side part rule was followed.

So seven hairstyles in a about 8weeks literally after I recovered from a "I want to cut my hair" moment. Who says locs can't be stylish? I say you can be anything you want to be, right now I'm thinking Loc Diva.

Hope you enjoyed this and maybe will be starting a loc adventure of your own. Next post will be on this great multipurpose head band I found, my new favourite hair accessory.

Yours truly,
The Loc Diva. :).

Note: All styles besides the Loc petals / loops were DIY.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on